Sunday, May 29, 2011

For the Love of a Firebird

My "new" car back when I first got it in 1998.
I own a 1995 Pontiac Firebird.  I bought it in 1998.  It was the first car I purchased myself.  It was my dream car (at the time.) I thought I had such an awesome car that I even got a personalized plate: I8AVET. I didn't care that it really couldn't beat a Corvette in a race. I LOVED that car. I LOVE that car. Honey hates it.  He told me so the other day as he was trying to jump the dead battery.  You see, it was time for a state inspection, and the car hasn't been driven much since our son was born, so we go through this routine around this time every year. I have a soft spot in my heart for this car.  It has been with me through dating and marriage, buying two houses, having a baby and 3 different jobs.  And Honey wants me to sell it! The funniest thing about this is that out of all three vehicles that we own, the Firebird is the oldest and has the least amount of miles on it (117,450).  The coolest part is that it PASSED inspection only needing 2 light bulbs replaced.  While it was at the shop, I figured I'd mention the slow turn signals and the familiar whine of a dying alternator that I have come to recognize.  Sure enough, it needed to be replaced.  I also got the AC recharged just in time for this blast of 90 degree weather we're having this week. The firebird is back at home now waiting for more TLC.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm not one to let go either. The hubby is always ready to sell and buy something new (meaning different, not actually new! )

    I just don't like change. He says I would keep every car we've ever owned if I could--piece of junk or not!

    ReplyDelete