Monday, June 27, 2011

Meet the Fur Children

I love cats.  I had one growing up named Tippy.  He was an outdoor cat and eventually went to live with my Nannie.  We had to put him to sleep back on Christmas Day in 1995 at the age of 19. So, I always said I wanted to have another cat when I moved into my own home.

Meet Prissy.
Prissy's first Christmas with us.

Honey gave her to me for Christmas in 2000 - about a month after I moved into my first house.  She came from a friend he was visiting over on the Eastern Shore.  He thought we should call her Twinkie.Um, she's black and white.  She's not a twinkie.  So, I told him her name would officially be Twinkle Priscilla. Prissy really has become more of a Daddy's girl lately.  She gets in his lap as soon as he sits down, even if he has something (like a wireless keyboard) in his lap. She "talks" to him and hugs him.  She licks his ear.  She wakes him up in the morning by walking on him and nudging him. Prissy loves drinking water out of the bathroom sink and flies down the hall whenever she thinks Honey is headed that way. She even paws at the door and cries sometimes when he's working in the garage.  She's spoiled!

In 2002, we decided that Prissy needed a friend to play with and keep her company.  My dear friend and former colleague, Lynette, lives on a farm and her barn cat had kittens. I went to see her and she let me pick one out - it's a boy!  I had always said that if I was ever to get another cat, he'd be lucky to have a good home.

Meet Lucky.

Lucky Noodle Brugeman Ritter Sutphin (the name is bigger than I am!)
Lynette and her kids delivered Lucky to us in August 2002.  She was calling him Noodle, so we incorporated that into his full name. Poor Prissy didn't know what to think about this little tiny kitten that just wanted to run and play with her.  She didn't want any part of it.

Lucky was the wild child who enjoyed climbing our Christmas tree for the first few years.  We could be sitting right there looking at him and he would just jump right in.  It's funny now looking back on it, but it just about drove me crazy back then.

Lucky is more of a "Mama's Boy." He likes to get in my lap and put his face up to mine trying to give me a kiss.  He's a happy cat with a loud "motor".  He's also the escape artist.  He longs for the outdoors and any open door will do.  "Luckily" he doesn't go too far when he does manage to get outside.

Today, Prissy is 10 and Lucky just turned 9 earlier this month.  It's hard to believe.  My babies are all grown up!  Oh to live the life of a cat - sleep (most of the day) on the end of our bed, eat and play.

Prissy - aka "Prissy Girl" or "Priss Tail" with her Daddy.

Prissy is our "fat" cat and she's pretty shy around other people. Lucky's tail is so fluffy it could be a duster and he's always reaching for a hand to pet him even from folks he barely knows.

Lucky - aka "Lucky Boy" or "Loo Loo" curled up in the clothes basket.

Did I mention I'm allergic to cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment